Skip to main content

Featured

A romance that will ghost away your stress AND the AmAzInG book deal I scored and how you can too

I've been thinking hard lately.  Like the kind of thinking hard where you are scrunching your eyebrows and don't even know it.  Nothing serious.  Sometimes it's just the mundane aspects of life that are on my mind.  Sometimes, it just takes a lot of energy to plan the day, get everyone what they need, squeak in a bit of physical activity, try to have a semi clean home, etc.  That's the kind of thinking that has worn on my lately.  Maybe it's more trying to cram too much into a day. Maybe it's cabin fever from the winter weather. I bet many of you can relate to this feeling. A bit of a brain break was in order and Ashley Poston certainly fulfilled with The Dead Romantics .  I'm a rom-com fan but never really thought of myself as a romance fan.  I always thought of romance novels as steamy, make me blush, kind of books.  The Dead Romantics  is totally a romance but not in that steamy sort of way - rather like a cozy hug at the perfect moment.  It&#

Back in the saddle....With a review of a book that will make you ugly cry tears from all sorts of emotions



A quick internet search confirms that my title is appropriate, fitting if you will.  The phrase "get back on the saddle" in essence means to get back to something after an absence or break.  It's been a year to the day since I've written you.  A lot happens in a year, let me tell you.  However, one thing that hasn't changed is my love of books.  I've read consistently over the past year.  I average anywhere from 3-6 books a months, some are 5-star worthy reads, others I just keep plugging away at because once I start a book, I'm committed to it.  I have so many favorites and am adding another one to that list today.  I just finished After I Do by Taylor Jenkins Reid.  I already knew I liked her writing style but this book blew me away.  I've previously reviewed The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo which you can find here if you so desire.  I've also read Jenkins Reid's book Malibu Rising and have Maybe in Another Life on my bookshelf.  You can find links to all these books at the end of my post. Also, don't forget to drop me a comment about this post and subscribe. 

As I am thinking about the title of this post, I realize that it fits in more ways than one. Yes, I took a break from my blog for about a year.  It also fits though, because this book is about a married couple that takes a year long break from each other.  Say what??  Jenkins Reid introduces us to two characters, Lauren and Ryan. They met when they were teens, married young when they were smitten in love and find themselves distanced as the years have gone on.  Lauren and Ryan aren't ready to call it quits, but they find themselves growing more angry and more unhappy as the weeks and months drag on.  They decide to take a year long break from each other to determine where they go from here.   Not a divorce but a separation with no contact - No seeing each other, no talking to each other. 

Honestly this seems like a crazy idea. Lauren justifies this decision by talking about how time away from each other may make their hearts grow fonder (that's a saying too, isn't it?). Maybe they will learn to appreciate each other more?  Maybe their anger and resentment will grow? Maybe they will meet new loves?  Lauren goes through a grief process with the separation of Ryan but discovers, sometimes even in the smallest of ways, that she is okay on her own.  She gains confidence and takes time to focus on herself and her family.  She at first thinks about Ryan constantly, but then finds she focuses on her loss of him less and less.  

I really dislike spoilers, so guarantee you I won't do that to you.  I'm not going to tell you how the book ends. What I will tell you is that Jenkins Reid writes in a way that truly grabs your heart. I feel like I know Lauren, her mom, her sister and her brother after reading this book.  I have watched the scenes play out in mind of the months during Lauren and Ryan's separation from both of their perspectives. I truly loved the character of Lauren's grandmother who is a bit sassy and eccentric.  Jenkins Reid writes with such power that I rode a roller coaster of emotion with this book.  I'm sure some of you may have an ugly cry or two as you read. 

I love how Lauren often contemplated the true meaning of happiness.  It's such a subjective concept and I'm not sure any of us has is it figured out, nor will we ever be 100% happy all the time.  That's pretty unrealistic.  What I did love was an awesome piece of advice in the book - I won't tell you who gave or received this advice or the whole context but I love it anyway - "...the sun will always rise.  Always."

I've kept myself busy with a variety of things this past year - spending time with my family, learning a new job, gaining new friends, walking my dog, tackling a bullet journal (or apparently bujo for short), baking bread - today I'm making some fruit infused water.  The list goes on but the really important piece is focusing on the good things in life.  There's struggles I've faced. Of course.  But there's a lot of good.  Reading will always me one of my favorite things to do.  I think I will make it a goal to get through my stacks of books to read. I can't guarantee that I won't buy any books while I'm trying to whittle through those stacks of books - I think I have some undiagnosed disorder related to acquiring a multitude of books.  I promise I'll share some of these books as I read them.  Maybe I will write a post sharing some of my favorite books from this past year.  Anyway, I'll close with that favorite reminder from After I Do that reminds me not to make too big of a deal of things because "the sun will always rise.  Always."

You can check out the books I mentioned by clicking the links below or stop by your favorite bookstore.  If you happen to purchase from these links, I may earn a small commission as an Amazon associate.  Thank you!


               


Comments

Popular Posts