Skip to main content

Featured

A romance that will ghost away your stress AND the AmAzInG book deal I scored and how you can too

I've been thinking hard lately.  Like the kind of thinking hard where you are scrunching your eyebrows and don't even know it.  Nothing serious.  Sometimes it's just the mundane aspects of life that are on my mind.  Sometimes, it just takes a lot of energy to plan the day, get everyone what they need, squeak in a bit of physical activity, try to have a semi clean home, etc.  That's the kind of thinking that has worn on my lately.  Maybe it's more trying to cram too much into a day. Maybe it's cabin fever from the winter weather. I bet many of you can relate to this feeling. A bit of a brain break was in order and Ashley Poston certainly fulfilled with The Dead Romantics .  I'm a rom-com fan but never really thought of myself as a romance fan.  I always thought of romance novels as steamy, make me blush, kind of books.  The Dead Romantics  is totally a romance but not in that steamy sort of way - rather like a cozy hug at the perfect moment.  It&#

My How Time Flies - 6 books that may help pass the time for you

My how time flies!  It's been nearly 2 months since my last post.  I can't say I've been doing anything remarkable, just enjoying everyday life - enjoying getting back to some semblance of normal.  I have, though, managed to squeak in some reading time here and there - while waiting in the school pick up line, while everyone is watching TV at night, while my daughter is doing her reading homework for school.  This isn't my normal post, but I thought it was the perfect opportunity to share my recent reading list with you.  Maybe you will find some books to put on your own reading list! I've been reading books from a variety of genres, some older, some newer.  I also added my own rating for the book - I know it's influenced by my own personal tastes and preferences, but it's still a fun touch. I've also included a link where you can purchase each book if you are so inclined.  I am an Amazon associate and may earn a small amount from any purchase. Don't forget your local library as another way to find great reads. Thank you and enjoy!  
P.S., I may have to do a part 2 - I have too many books that I've been reading...


Bravery is something within us, something we may never even know exists until we are forced to find it.  In We Must Be Brave, author Frances Liardet introduces us to Ellen and Selwyn. They are a young couple during WWII era.  Ellen and Selwyn are content with their lives together, no plans to have a family of their own.  However, Ellen finds Pamela, a girl who has survived a bombing at a hotel. Her mother lost in the bombing.  Ellen opens her home to Pamela and over time, opens her heart.  Ellen teaches Pamela to be brave throughout the turmoils of war; however, doesn't realize that she herself may have the greatest test of bravery in her role as a woman that loves Pamela fiercely and wants only the best for her, but is faced with a very different version of what is best for Pamela than she had imagined.
My rating: 5 out of 5 stars

.

In Five Years by Rebecca Serle - The author shares a story of Dannie, a woman who has a vivid dream set five years in the future. In her dream, she is leading a completely different life - married to someone else.  This dream felt so very real to her.  However, Dannie discovers that bits and pieces from this dream start to come true.  I can't imagine the unsettling feeling she experienced when seeing the man from her dream, in real life.  Dannie scrambles to save her life, but is the life she is trying to save really the one she was meant to have?
My rating: 5 out of 5 stars 
   


Odd Child Out by Gilly Macmillan is a great novel that takes on issues of race and immigration. We meet two boys, Noah and Abdi.  Noah has faced complicated health issues, and as a result, has missed school and missed opportunities to make friends until he meets Abdi, a refugee from Somalia.  Abdi and Noah become best of friends. Abdi supports Noah on the difficult days of his health journey and celebrates life with him on the good days.  However, something goes horribly wrong one night.  The boys find themselves at a canal in the middle of the night.  One boy ends up in the water fighting for his life.  Detective Jim Clemo has the job of determining why the boys were at the canal, how one ended up in the water, and who, if anyone, is at fault.  Dectective Clemo must see through the biases others hold to find out the true story of that awful night. I found myself guessing what was happening through the whole novel.  
My rating: 4 out of 5 stars

    

In Carnegie's Maid, Marie Benedict takes us back to the time of the Civil War. I honestly have not read a book about this time period period.  We learn about the often horrific journeys people have made to immigrate across the ocean to the United States via the story of Clara Kelley.  She immigrates to the United States as a way to save her farming family back home, their livelihood at risk and needing a secure future.  She has no idea what she will do once in the United States but finds herself as the lady's maid for Margaret Carnegie, mother of the infamous Andrew Carnegie.  Benedict spins a tale of how Clara learns the role of lady's maid while Margaret, also an immigrant, is learning the role of lady in the upper classes of the United States.  Clara finds she is akin to Andrew, sharing the same yearning for knowledge and education; however, they aren't afforded the opportunity to see where these similarities may lead in terms of romance or even friendship because Clara is a maid.  However, she still influences Andrew in ways that change his path from climbing the social ladder to, instead, finding ways to help everyone have opportunities to better their own situations. Strength and resilience abound in this novel.  I'm actually set to read another book by Benedict for a book club next month titled The Other Einstein.  Both appear to share a theme of society quieting the role of strong women. 
My rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

 

Night Road is another great novel by Kristin Hannah. Teenaged Lexi has had a troubled upbringing but is given a new chance when she moves in with her aunt Eva.  She meets twins, Mia and Zach.  The three end up having an idyllic high school experience until one bad decision upends everything.  The kids go to a party, have a few drinks and drive home.  But they never make it home.  Their lives are torn apart and ripples affect everyone they love.  We watch as they say difficult goodbyes, are dealt consequences, learn to forgive, as they mature and grow, and as they put pieces of their lives back together.  A novel you won't regret reading.
My rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

 



What lengths would you go to give a loved one peace at the end of their life?  This is the question Alice must answer in The Things We Cannot Say by Kelly Rimmer.  Alice's babcia, or grandmother, suffers a stroke. She keeps telling Alice she needs to find Tomasz, which Alice is heartbroken over as her grandfather, Tomasz, died in the past few years and she finds it difficult to communicate this to her babcia.  Her babcia is insistent that Alice go to Poland.  However, Alice faces her own struggles at home that make it near impossible to leave.  However, she knows how important this is to her babcia and in a rash moment, books an airline ticket.  She sets off, not sure what she is looking for.  Alice learns about a young lady named Alina and tries to fit Alina into her babcia's history.  Alice learns more about her own heritage, and her grandmother's strength, than she could have imagined. 
My rating:  5 out of 5 stars 
Now, if you've made it this far... I must tell you how many times I rated in "starts" and not "stars" .... each and every time, my friends. 







Comments

Popular Posts