Skip to main content

Featured

A romance that will ghost away your stress AND the AmAzInG book deal I scored and how you can too

I've been thinking hard lately.  Like the kind of thinking hard where you are scrunching your eyebrows and don't even know it.  Nothing serious.  Sometimes it's just the mundane aspects of life that are on my mind.  Sometimes, it just takes a lot of energy to plan the day, get everyone what they need, squeak in a bit of physical activity, try to have a semi clean home, etc.  That's the kind of thinking that has worn on my lately.  Maybe it's more trying to cram too much into a day. Maybe it's cabin fever from the winter weather. I bet many of you can relate to this feeling. A bit of a brain break was in order and Ashley Poston certainly fulfilled with The Dead Romantics .  I'm a rom-com fan but never really thought of myself as a romance fan.  I always thought of romance novels as steamy, make me blush, kind of books.  The Dead Romantics  is totally a romance but not in that steamy sort of way - rather like a cozy hug at the perfect moment.  It&#

A story of struggle - review of American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins

  
I've been wanting to share this book for some time, but I didn't have a good photo. I passed my book along to someone else and just had a crummy photo of it, so I had to get a little creative with the photo for this post.

American Dirt seems like it might be destined to become a classic.  Cummins tells the story of Lydia, a woman living in Mexico.  She owns her own bookstore that tourists often visit.  As Cummins described this bookstore, I could actually picture myself shopping there and loving it.  Lydia is the wife of Sebastian, a local journalist.  Lydia is happy in her life - happy with her marriage, her career and ever-proud of her son Luca.  A gentleman, Javier, comes to her store and there is an instant connection and bond between Lydia and Javier. She finds herself looking forward to his visits and enjoys his intellectual companionship.  Little does Lydia know, Javier is the lead of a cartel and Lydia's husband has been on the cusp of exposing the cartel.

Lydia is in attendance at a family gathering and the cartel attacks, killing everyone except Lydia and Luca.  Utterly terrifying.  Her fight or flight response kicks into high gear and she escapes with Luca.  She doesn't have time to think, let alone get any belongings, money, or travel documents.  She doesn't have time to grieve the loss of her husband and her entire family. She is truly thrust into survival mode.

Cummins narrates Lydia's efforts to escape Mexico and make it to the United States, with nothing but the clothes on their backs.  She describes the violence Lydia and Luca face, the uncertainty that meets them every single day.  The fear that no one can be trusted as the cartel influences everyone, from family, to politicians to those sworn to protect.  The checkpoints they must cross, not knowing if they will be recognized or not.  Lydia hopes to get her and Luca on La Bestia, a train that migrants ride on top, facing certain death if they fall.  Could you imagine tossing a child up on the train, knowing it may be their only chance at survival? Lydia and Luca also found themselves facing possible ill fates if they cross the wrong person's path.   I'll let you read to find out the path of Lydia and Luca - if they survive, if they get sent back or worse, if they make it to America.  

Could you even imagine being in this situation?  First off, Lydia finding out that her confidant may actually be using this relationship to gain the upper hand, that her friend is actually a foe.  I can't imagine not knowing who to talk to or what to say, realizing that this person may actually be being paid to inform about my whereabouts.  Thinking of that ever-present hierarchy of needs, safety and security is the very base of our existence.  If we don't have this, how can we ever address other needs.  How could Lydia ever grieve the loss of her entire family when she was trying to figure out a way to get her and her son through to the next day?  Lydia was truly a heroine.  She showed grit, determination, bravery.  She looked fear in the eye and said, "Not today."  

This book was eye opening to me.  I know this book is fiction, but my heart breaks to know that there are places in the world that violence is the norm.   I think I take a lot for granted living where I do.  I think there' s probably a lot I take for granted each and every day. Maybe it's a good time to check in with gratitude.  What are you grateful for?  Sure, it's easy to name the big things - our health, our families, our jobs.  

But are there some little things in the day to day mess of life that maybe we don't pay attention to?  I think of Lydia, how even a new pair of shoes to protect their feet through the travels was something she and Luca were so grateful for.  I don't think I've ever stopped to think about being grateful for my shoes.  They were grateful for a good meal but even more grateful for a good heart.  We could all be that good heart for someone else.  We never know what journey someone has traveled before they've crossed our path - it might not be as dramatic as Lydia and Luca, but  there's no doubt they have a story that brought them to where they are today.  What I'm taking away as I write this is a mission to treat others with a kind heart and to be grateful for their presence. 

Click below to purchase this book from Amazon.  I am an Amazon associate and may make a small amount from any purchase.  Thanks

Comments

Popular Posts