Skip to main content

Featured

A romance that will ghost away your stress AND the AmAzInG book deal I scored and how you can too

I've been thinking hard lately.  Like the kind of thinking hard where you are scrunching your eyebrows and don't even know it.  Nothing serious.  Sometimes it's just the mundane aspects of life that are on my mind.  Sometimes, it just takes a lot of energy to plan the day, get everyone what they need, squeak in a bit of physical activity, try to have a semi clean home, etc.  That's the kind of thinking that has worn on my lately.  Maybe it's more trying to cram too much into a day. Maybe it's cabin fever from the winter weather. I bet many of you can relate to this feeling. A bit of a brain break was in order and Ashley Poston certainly fulfilled with The Dead Romantics .  I'm a rom-com fan but never really thought of myself as a romance fan.  I always thought of romance novels as steamy, make me blush, kind of books.  The Dead Romantics  is totally a romance but not in that steamy sort of way - rather like a cozy hug at the perfect moment.  It&#

The Intended Life by Kristin Harmel


I'm typing as everyone sleeps in my house.  I love the hustle and bustle of the day but also love the quiet.  I must confess that I'm quite delayed on getting these last couple reviews out.  I do have a legitimate reason.  I actually did post  my review on Next Year in Havana several weeks ago, but I learned an important social media lesson.  I had made a post on Facebook made viewable to two people as I didn't think the whole world would be interested in a table and chairs I saw for sale.  When I changed the settings for that one post, I managed to change all of my facebook settings.  So, my review went to only two people.  But, hey, I had a 50% read rate, so that's pretty decent, right?  I also started another book but actually ended up taking it back to the library.  I don't know if I was in some sort of funk or if this truly wasn't a book I enjoyed, but it has waylaid me a bit.  I just happened to pick up another book from my bookshelf as I was headed out the door to the beach and am so glad I did. This one is a winner.


In The Intended Life, Harmel shares the story of Kate. Kate is a widow, losing her husband, Patrick, to an accident after only a few years together. Kate is now engaged to be married to another good man but starts having vivid dreams about Patrick.  These aren't just dreams, though.  These are as if she has entered an alternate reality where Patrick didn't die and their life has continued to go on including having a daughter, Hannah. These dreams are so real that Kate learns things that she possibly couldn't know any other way. For example, in her dreams, she finds that a beautiful playground is constructed across the street from their apartment. In real life, Kate hasn't visited this apartment in over 10 years. She travels to the apartment and finds the playground, just as she saw it in her dream.


Kate is a music therapist working with kids. Prior to his death, Patrick had actually encouraged her to pursue what filled her heart resulting in Kate going back to school to become a music therapist.   Hannah, her dream child, is hearing impaired and because this feels so real to Kate, she signs up for a sign language class and begins working with hearing impaired kids in her music therapy business.  I love Kate's passionate pursuit of something.  She just dives in, puts 110% and gets 200% back. She also meets someone filled with just as much passion as her, her sign language teacher Andrew. Kate learns, grows and finds herself growing into what just might be her intended life.


This book was fascinating.  I had no idea what was happening, even finding myself questioning what is real or not, what are the possibilities?  Harmel paints a heartbreakingly beautiful portrait of grief.  I had someone once that told me grief was like an ocean - at first crashing into you fiercely, eventually calming but always still there with the potential for another big swell to consume you. I think Kate rides these waves in such an honest way.  In addition to grief, Harmel balances this with a picture of hope, the ability to never forget someone but have a chance at happiness again.


There were so many "big ideas" that Harmel writes about - grief and hope; following your heart; utmost and unconditional love for your children and family; overcoming the hurdles life throws at you, recognizing that these hurdles may very well be pushing you toward something intended for you; and sometimes that we can just get stuck, where we accept what is because it is easy, even if it isn't what makes you happiest.  There was a line Harmel wrote that I just loved.  She wrote, "And isn't that what being a parent is? Taking chances in your own life because you know it will make your child's life better?"  Yes.


Yes to this quote. Yes to this book. Yes to anyone looking for a fast read that catches your heart and your emotions but leaves you smiling and content.

You can order Harmel's book on Amazon by clicking here or the picture link below.  


I am an Amazon assoicate and may earn a small amount if you purchase this book. Thanks again!

Comments

Popular Posts